Nyou Fiction

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Multiple story contests

Started by Anime Lover, June 05, 2009, 02:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anime Lover

with recent contests, from lack of entries, the contests have dragged on longer than were intended.
What I propose in two, or maybe three simultaneous story contests to run at the same time, so if one contest has little participation, it gives a chance for the other contests to be attempted.

plus, this way, if a person doesn't like one contest, they can choose another
Total Projects: 463
Latest Project: The Benefits of Sisters
Current Project:   Show and Tell
Planned Projects: The Geelien's 12, 13

FallenStar

Personally, I think that if no one shows interest in a story contest by the time the normal contest time frame has ended, that that contest should be ended and any and all participants (if there is only one) should be crowned winners.

Although I hate to win by default, I can't see the use of having the same contest up there that no one has any interest in.  =/

Nobody betta lay a finger on mah girl, Hotaru, or else!  xD

Jimmy Olsen

It might be a good idea to have a poop-only contest and a pee-only going on simultaneously over 2 months, instead of having a different contest each month.  It would only have to be a one-time occurrence, but if it were really popular it could become the new system of contests.
Latest Stories
Girls' Night
Morning Commute

Anime Lover

yeah, a sort of test.
maybe there can be a main contest and this 'test' contest

Jimmy Olsen

That sounds great.  Who else is in favor of this?
Latest Stories
Girls' Night
Morning Commute

FallenStar

Two contests at the same time strikes me as a good idea;  however, I wouldn't want one contest to have less weight than the other.  That's all I'm saying.  :)

Anime Lover

well even if it did, it wouldn't halt the progress like it did with the last two contests

FallenStar

Quote from: Anime Lover on June 22, 2009, 12:28:26 AM
well even if it did, it wouldn't halt the progress like it did with the last two contests

It would be a real ego bruiser for someone to win a contest only to find that it has less meaning, less weight, and less rewarding than if he'd won the other contest.

It's like the current contest;  Sure, it looks as though I've won it (even though Duce hasn't officially closed it yet or, at the very least, hasn't given me a ribbon for it  xD), but it is a meaningless win because no one else decided to join the contest.  You see what I'm getting at here?

If one contest has less meaning than the other, then it's pointless to enter the contest as such and those fics would be better off just shared for free in a different category itself.

All I'm saying is that the pee and poop only contests is a good idea but both contests should carry the same rewards and same ego-stroking.

Toasty

I think that FallenStar has a pretty good point here. If one contest was the "main" one, in all likelihood the majority of people would enter that one, further splitting the pool of authors and reducing entries. In order to increase the number of entries, I think it would make more sense to have two contests which are identical other than their themes, so as to draw in more writers by having more variety. Think of it as contest A and contest B.

Or, Contest Red Version and Blue Version.

Or, Contest Gold and Silver.

Or, Contest Ruby and Sapphire.

Or, Contest Diamond and Pearl.

Or, Contest Fire Red and Lea-*gets body slammed by Snorlax*

Jimmy Olsen

People would be able to enter both contests, right?
Latest Stories
Girls' Night
Morning Commute

FallenStar

Quote from: Toasty on June 22, 2009, 03:13:49 PM
I think that FallenStar has a pretty good point here. If one contest was the "main" one, in all likelihood the majority of people would enter that one, further splitting the pool of authors and reducing entries. In order to increase the number of entries, I think it would make more sense to have two contests which are identical other than their themes, so as to draw in more writers by having more variety. Think of it as contest A and contest B.

Or, Contest Red Version and Blue Version.

Or, Contest Gold and Silver.

Or, Contest Ruby and Sapphire.

Or, Contest Diamond and Pearl.

Or, Contest Fire Red and Lea-*gets body slammed by Snorlax*

Actually, Snorlax would tend to use Rest, followed by Snore, not Body Slam.

>.>
<.<

*runs like hell*

Toasty

Well, yeah, but it learns body slam at level 33, and I personally find getting body slammed that way more threatening than being snored at. Especially if it's Snorlax!

FallenStar

Quote from: Toasty on June 22, 2009, 05:03:46 PM
Well, yeah, but it learns body slam at level 33, and I personally find getting body slammed that way more threatening than being snored at. Especially if it's Snorlax!

Clearly, you've never been to the end of Pok?mon Crystal and not had a fighting type Pok?mon when fighting against Red's Snorlax.   ;D

Anime Lover

i only use the term 'test' because we haven't had multiple contest at one time, so it WOULD be a test.
And nothings stopping anyone from submitting a entree into each of the contests.

Sure, one contest may be more popular than another, but that's true of anything with more than one choice.
the REASON I proposed the multiple contest idea is to prevent what the last two contest were, halting the usual progress of month to month contests.

for example:
contest 1 - 30 days
contest 2 - 30 days

at the end of the 30 days, say contest two was more popular:
Contest 1 - 1 entree
Contest 2 - 3 entries

Contest 2 would be ended and a pol set up, but contest 1 would continue for another 30 days while a new contest is made:
Contest 1 - 30 day extension
Contest 3 - 30 days

and so on...:

Contest 1 - 2 entries
Contest 3 - 2 entries

Contest 4
contest 5

contest 4 - none
contest 5 - 2 entries

contest 4 - 30 day extension
contest 6 - 30 days

I hope my example is undestandable

Jimmy Olsen

How many people need to support this idea before the mods make it happen?
Latest Stories
Girls' Night
Morning Commute