Nyou Fiction

Main Menu

* TalkBox

TalkBox v1.0

Original Fiction?

Started by BlueSniper, July 27, 2014, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSniper

So I was just wondering: how do people feel about original stories? I know that most people are into fanfics here, specifically anime ones it seems. However, I'm currently working on some fantasy genre stuff, because I'm trying to get better at writing fantasy in general. If I were to post something like that, would people enjoy it?

Just sort of throwing this out there. In a manner of speaking, it is a fanfic, in a similar way to Schizophrenia in that it's not exactly what one would think of as a "fanfic." It involves two neighboring kingdoms, Declan and Chezzin, one of which contains 4 territories, and the other is split into 2 territories. So while it could be thought of as a playing-card "fanfic" or a Chess "fanfic," it doesn't operate according to how these things normally work.

So really, this is two questions:

• how do people feel about original fiction?
  • how do people feel about fantasy?

Hopefully someone might find it to tickle their fancy? If not, I'll see what else I can wrangle up. I'd like to start contributing here more often.

Toasty

Personally, I would read pretty much anything you wrote regardless of whether it was original or not. In fact, my favorite story by you (and one of my favorite stories, if not my *most* favorite story on this site, period), Axon Mobile Corps, is an original story. For that matter, Schizophrenia is probably my second favorite story by you...then again, Season's Greetings was also really good (I still chuckle every time I think about "it felt like someone dropped a semi on *her* colon")...but wait, I also really like The Bizarre Experiment...arrrgh! Just write something damnit!

So...yeah. To answer both your questions: I would be hella stoked about an original fantasy work from you. I can't wait to see what kind of crazy and amazing things you come up with.

PS: If you actually go through with this, it might even inspire me to finally finish my mostly complete story about Penelo, Ashe and Fran from Final Fantasy XII...seriously, I've been trying to think of the perfect ending for like three years now -_-

Jimmy Olsen

You should absolutely write original fantasy works!  I usually prefer original stories to fanfics.
Latest Stories
Girls' Night
Morning Commute

Black Osprey

Quote from: Toasty on July 27, 2014, 06:08:28 PM
PS: If you actually go through with this, it might even inspire me to finally finish my mostly complete story about Penelo, Ashe and Fran from Final Fantasy XII...seriously, I've been trying to think of the perfect ending for like three years now -_-

Oh my god, you're killing me. BlueSniper, for the needs of many, put pen to paper!

But in all seriousness, I was a huge fan of Schizophrenia, and your other stories are some of the better ones on the site as well. I've missed your writing ever since re-reading some of your fics a week or two ago and would love to read more. I have no qualms about original fiction, it lets the writer stretch their creative muscles to create a genuinely fine-tuned story without the temptations of using pre-existing characters and scenarios as a crutch (not saying there's anything wrong with that, but I feel like not using existing universes can lead to a more engaging and creative story). I'm certainly a fantasy fan as well, as are many on here. Besides, even if they weren't, Schizophrenia showed that you have such a knack for painting a fantasy setting and making it engaging aside from the. Nyou-related elements that it would be harder to hate than to enjoy.
Fighting game fanatic.

BlueSniper

Wow, okay! I'm glad that people like the idea. I'll certainly keep going forward with it; thanks for the encouragement.