Such glorious music!
7 (46.7%)
I'd rather do without it
2 (13.3%)
Meh...
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Anime Lover

I was just wondering, do ppl here like fics MORE if the sounds of defication/urination are detailed? Like:

FRrrrrrrt, BbrFRrrrrt, Bbrrrrrt, Pssssss, plop, splat, etc.

I for one don't really mind ether way, but i don't really make a habit of including those sounds in my fics becouse to me, it kinda seems out of place or cheapens a fic to me.

also, are there any 'correct' spellings of this sounds? or do you guys just type it the way it sounds?
Total Projects: 463
Latest Project: The Benefits of Sisters
Current Project:   Show and Tell
Planned Projects: The Geelien's 12, 13

Toasty

Personally, I really like this sort of thing. Onomatopoeia (YES!! Spelled it right on the first try) makes the descriptions more real and visceral. But that's just my opinion.

Destinys-Failure

It doesn't bother me if it's there or not, although if I put it in, I just write it how it sounds. It just makes it seem a bit more real.

N

OrpheumZero

Depends, if they're done right, then it's all good. If not, then it's just a pointless exorcise in typing. Yarr seems to be the best in terms of blending the sounds with the narrative, at least in his more recent works, the ones in Faye Poops could've been better. But that was one of his firsts so it couldn't be helped.
"Legends are much like tapestries; they erode and fade until truth and lies become indistinguishible." - Original quote.

What's to come:
~ One Piece adventure ("In planning")
~ Inuyasha story
~ Story with girl having to sit between boy's legs on toilet

DrBones

I'm glad someone asked this question because I've been wondering about having sound FX in my stories.  "Pride ans Privacy" originally had them, but I took them out in the final edit  because I wanted to do more with descriptions. 

If I had to give a yes/no answer, I would say ya, I like spelled sounds but it's not like I miss them if they're not there as Destinys-Failure and N said.  That seems to be the general feeling here so I won't be afraid to include a few in my future work.

Orpheum, I didn't have a problem with the sounds in Yarr's early work, but I agree that he's become the master of smoothly including them just from practice.

Jimmy Olsen

I'd rather read sounds described verbally than spelled out phonetically.  These are fics, not comic books.
Latest Stories
Girls' Night
Morning Commute

Toasty

@ Jimmy: Well, that's basically just what onomatopoeia (Spelled right again! I'm on a roll) is. Words we use all the time, like crash, boom, crunch, bang, clop, etc. simply exist to mimic the sound they describe. Even a lot of "real" words like drop, swish, beep, splash, and drizzle have elements of onomatopoeia in them.  Onomatopoeia has been around for a long freakin' time, I mean the word itself comes from ancient Greek so what do you expect. So, if we can describe a scene more vividly by reproducing the sound via text, I don't see why we shouldn't. We're just using more specialized onomatopoeia to get across the specific sounds of defecation.

Poowrite

I'm with Jimmy Olsen on  this one.

While I don't think I'd ever complain about it in a review, I am always going to prefer a vivid description to "fart sounds." Honestly, my eyes tend to glaze right over those parts  :-[.

But, you know what they say. Different strokes for different folks. I've read some fics I really enjoyed that used "fart sounds." And I can't recall if I've ever used them in a fic. Maybe doing so would give me a different prespective on the whole thing?

If you own a PS3, download the demo. Give this game a shot. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

BlueSniper

I used to use sounds, and now I use description. I think it makes more sense and it leaves the sounds in the reader's mind. On the other hand, going along with what Jimmy said, in comics and strips I don't mind having the onomatopoeia right there on the panels.