Yes
3 (75%)
No
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: June 03, 2010, 10:04:57 PM

Duce

I've been thinking about putting the Nyo Points to real use

by where you have to spend them to read a fic, of course it would be a very low cost like 10 or 15 or something like that.

library cards I could put some up in the shop, so instead of spending points on reading the fic, you could just get a card and use it, so as long as  the card's not expired you can read, when it expires just get another card, as long as your not a lurker with no posts it would be very easy to get a new card.

it would be pretty easy to get that much with just being a little active, like posting a topic, post, story, chapter, review or even a path in the interactive stories.

I could put up range of cards with different amounts of time on them too

OrpheumZero

I would say it'd be worth testing out. Maybe even have it that authors, or at least more active member get a discount admission. But it's just a thought.

This could be a good way of discouraging those jerkoffs stealing our stories and posting them on other sites without even asking.

Granted I do agree it's not fair to enforce too many stipulations on people here, but it is necessary to have some order so this place doesn't become like the lesser boards of 4chan.
"Legends are much like tapestries; they erode and fade until truth and lies become indistinguishible." - Original quote.

What's to come:
~ One Piece adventure ("In planning")
~ Inuyasha story
~ Story with girl having to sit between boy's legs on toilet

FallenStar

Personally, I'd rather a system where people get *more* points for reviewing a fic than taking them away just to *read* a fic.  That's almost like turning the site into a paysite.

We don't want to discourage people from reading fics; we just want them *not* be stolen and to promote more reviews (amirite?).

I would bet that if Duce enforced a rule where you have to be a registered member in order to view the fics *and* ran leecher purges to delete some of these no-account accounts, then 90% of the problems would go away.  But... that's solely up to Duce  :P

Nobody betta lay a finger on mah girl, Hotaru, or else!  xD

Quagmire

Quote from: FallenStar on May 23, 2010, 06:02:41 PM
Personally, I'd rather a system where people get *more* points for reviewing a fic than taking them away just to *read* a fic.  That's almost like turning the site into a paysite.

I'm with that...

But then again, maybe if Duce did enact such a system, we'd have more activity.  Even if it is just "shooting the shit" (no pun intended, we say that down here :D) on random topics.

Duce

you can already get more points for making a review.

but actually I just got another idea,

library cards I could put some up in the shop, so instead of spending points on reading the fic, you could just get a card and use it, so as long as  the card's not expired you can read, when it expires just get another card, as long as your not a lurker with no posts it would be very easy to get a new card.

I could put up range of cards with different amounts of time on them too

actually this would pretty easy to do.

OrpheumZero

That's a neat idea. Like you spend points, and then can read a story for a period of time. The best thing, of course, is to make sure it's still accessible for people, but will more or less get folk to stop lurking around like trolls and at least show some activity.
"Legends are much like tapestries; they erode and fade until truth and lies become indistinguishible." - Original quote.

What's to come:
~ Inuyasha story

livinginfinite

Quote from: FallenStar on May 23, 2010, 06:02:41 PM
I would bet that if Duce enforced a rule where you have to be a registered member in order to view the fics *and* ran leecher purges to delete some of these no-account accounts, then 90% of the problems would go away.  But... that's solely up to Duce  :P

I vote for this.

FallenStar

I vote that we send Duce back to remedial spelling class for misspelling "Using"  :P

All in favor, say Aye!   ;D

Note:  This is just a playful jab at Duce. It is not meant to be taken seriously or offensive.  :|

OrpheumZero

I was actually talking a bit with an anon on the /d/ page of 4chan. I admit we might have gotten a little ahead of ourselves with the enforced joining/posting thing, but I'm thinking it might be time to respark the talks and see if we can come to a more understandable middleground on all this. Obviously we do want to make sure there's a community here, and not just a handful of us yammering back and forth, but conversly we don't want to totally alieniate people ever wanting to come here.

What's to come:
~ Inuyasha story

FallenStar

Orpheum, my friend, you do not want the average 4channer here. I've been through that many times and the moment you open your doors to the level of filth that many of those people are, deep down inside, the greater your chances of being DDoS'ed to death.

Ask Duce to tell you the story of the last site he ran and how he was thrown off his hosting because of a DDoS attack that he didn't start. No... no, you're at least 10x better if you remain a small site that "flies under the radar" so to speak so as to not open yourself to that high of a risk of having your site taken down by one idiot rotten apple that spoils the entire bunch.

OrpheumZero

Maybe so, but we can't act like we're higher than thou with the rest of the internet. Otherwise we'd be no better than 4chan, shunning others just because of our 'in-crowd'. It's true that we have to weed out the trolls, the ones who would come here to steal our stories and post them on other site with nary a word of mention to us. Sure, we write fapfiction, but that doesn't mean we're undeserving of reviews and critiques. It's hard to say for certain, we have to be careful not to open up too much, but at the same time not shove the same stick 4chan, Danbooru, and other sites have up our own ass.

What's to come:
~ Inuyasha story